Quantcast

BMC Remedy ARS + ITSM Interview Questions

BMC Remedy ARS + ITSM Interview Questions

Salma
Dear Team,

As i have completed my 1 year with ARS and ITSM application , planning to take up some interviews. Please can any one help me with some interview questions which are commonly asked . So that i can prepared for my interview .

Please post me all the question which you guys faced during ur interviews .

And also apart from ARS or ITSM , any possibilty of asking questions from other topics like Database, OS , Network , If yes please let me the same .

Thanks in advance ,

Salma

Re: BMC Remedy ARS + ITSM Interview Questions

Ramy S. Ayoub
**
use the below question in case of Senior Level ... this from my point of view

1)      ARSchema

2)      With transaction(t) table and table schema id in associated in arschema table

3)      Web Services , Remedy API, Email templates, Direct SQL, creating view and database trigger and database programming….. depending on what suites to client and third party application

4)      Creating failure over environments, database back – replication on vmware etc,

5)      Big to answer I will update you on this next time, - user interface ,end user component – directly reachable  to customers

6)      Filter is server side component , depending on fire condition and qualification action will be perform on server.  Actions are listed in if actions tab, submit, modify any valid ar server operation. Permission is not issue on filter etc.

7)      I don't things so, not possible.

8)      Not understanding question – reason I not aware of walking tables

1.  What is the primary table in the AR System data dictionary?

2.  How does the AR System manage the data you see in Remedy Forms?

3.  Without using DSO or EIE, what are your thoughts for providing a 'STANDARDIZED' methodology for interfacing/integrating with Remedy applications.  This customer was actually looking to use C.I.M. or some other open standard solution to interface with Remedy.... maybe a good discussion for the list!!!

4.  How do you trouble shoot AR System server outages to restore access to the system?

5.  How does mid-tier work and where does it fit in the client server architecture?

6.  Describe how filters work?  They were actually looking how filters work in different phases... which led to the next question.

7.  Can you force a filter to fire all actions in the first phase?

8.  List all of the possible uses for guides.  They were looking for walking tables.

.

__Platinum Sponsor: www.rmsportal.com ARSlist: "Where the Answers Are" html___

Re: BMC Remedy ARS + ITSM Interview Questions

Salma
Thank You.

Ramy S. Ayoub wrote

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 9:02 AM, Salma <salmabegum84@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Team,
>
> As i have completed my 1 year with ARS and ITSM application , planning to
> take up some interviews. Please can any one help me with some interview
> questions which are commonly asked . So that i can prepared for my
> interview
> .
>

> Please post me all the question which you guys faced during ur interviews .
>
> And also apart from ARS or ITSM , any possibilty of asking questions from
> other topics like Database, OS , Network , If yes please let me the same .
>

> Thanks in advance ,
>
> Salma

Re: BMC Remedy ARS + ITSM Interview Questions

Barber, David
Although ....

4) that doesn't quite answer the question.  Failover, replication, etc. will speed up recovery or reduce the likelyhood of downtime, but the question was relating to troubleshooting system downtime.  that would require looking into server logs (in windows go to the event viewer, which may give hints, I'm still a bit "new" on solaris), arerror.log, SQL (or whatever database) logs, etc. in order to determine what caused the outage.

6) Look at the filters on some of your applications, specifically for a '! suffix ....

8) table walking - setup a table on a form, and have a guide that scans through the table, performs a variety of actions depending on your requirements on the records in that list.

Regards

Dave Barber

> [...]
>
> 7.  Can you force a filter to fire all actions in the first phase?
>
> 8.  List all of the possible uses for guides.  They were looking for
> walking
> tables.
>

> On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 9:02 AM, Salma <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dear Team,
>>
>> As i have completed my 1 year with ARS and ITSM application , planning to
>> take up some interviews. Please can any one help me with some interview
>> questions which are commonly asked . So that i can prepared for my
>> interview
>> .
>>

>> Please post me all the question which you guys faced during ur interviews
>> .
>>
>> And also apart from ARS or ITSM , any possibilty of asking questions from
>> other topics like Database, OS , Network , If yes please let me the same

This e-mail has been scanned for viruses by the Cable & Wireless e-mail security system - powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive managed e-mail security service, visit http://www.cw.com/uk/emailprotection/

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may also be subject to legal privilege. It is intended only for the recipient(s) named above. If you are not named above as a recipient, you must not read, copy, disclose, forward or otherwise use the information contained in this email. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender (whose contact details are above) immediately by reply e-mail and delete the message and any attachments without retaining any copies.

Cable and Wireless plc
Registered in England and Wales.Company Number 238525
Registered office: 3rd Floor, 26 Red Lion Square, London WC1R 4HQ

Re: BMC Remedy ARS + ITSM Interview Questions

Frank, Gordon M. (CMS/CTR)
Some of the responses I am seeing on ARSList are a little complex.

Here's some more common questions (remember your Resume will tell your
capabilities):

1. What is the difference between and Active Link and a Filter?
2. What is a .def file used for?
3. What is a .arx file?
4. Who is Doug Mueller?
5. What is a use for an Active Link Guide?
6. What type of field it the "Worklog" field?
7. Name two DBMSs in which Remedy ARS can run on top of?
8. What does ARS stand for?
9. What are the core fields?
10. What does $MENU$ do?

And so on. You'd be amazed at the number of interviews I've conducted
and the interviewee couldn't answer these basic questions.

A database question I like to ask is: What's the difference between
SYSMAN and SYSTEM in an Oracle world?

A very simple UNIX question is: What does LS do?

Gordon M. Frank

Remedy Skilled Professional

ITIL V3 Certified

Lockheed Martin

Re: BMC Remedy ARS + ITSM Interview Questions

ccrashh
I had an interview with RIM in the spring, and the first question they
asked me was:  What is an Active Link?

It would like asking someone who has been teaching for more than 10
years to recite the alphabet.  The interview essentially went downhill
from there.

On Nov 28, 7:44 am, "Frank, Gordon M. (CMS/CTR)"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Some of the responses I am seeing on ARSList are a little complex.
>
> Here's some more common questions (remember your Resume will tell your
> capabilities):
>
> 1. What is the difference between and Active Link and a Filter?
> 2. What is a .def file used for?
> 3. What is a .arx file?
> 4. Who is Doug Mueller?
> 5. What is a use for an Active Link Guide?
> 6. What type of field it the "Worklog" field?
> 7. Name two DBMSs in which Remedy ARS can run on top of?
> 8. What does ARS stand for?
> 9. What are the core fields?
> 10. What does $MENU$ do?
>
> And so on. You'd be amazed at the number of interviews I've conducted
> and the interviewee couldn't answer these basic questions.
>
> A database question I like to ask is: What's the difference between
> SYSMAN and SYSTEM in an Oracle world?
>
> A very simple UNIX question is: What does LS do?
>
> Gordon M. Frank
>
> Remedy Skilled Professional
>
> ITIL V3 Certified
>
> Lockheed Martin

Bing-6
These questions might be fine in a phone screen to qualify a candidate, but
it seems we should be able to do MUCH better for an in-person interview.
Assuming the purpose of the interview is to determine how well a candidate
can wield and support the ARS toolkit (and get them talking about their past
Remedy experiences), perhaps these would be more appropriate questions:

- What was the first ARS application you built?
- If you could rewrite the first application, what would you do differently?

- Of all of the ARS applications you've developed, which was your favorite?

- In your opinion, what types of applications can use a web browser as a
client, and what types of applications really need the user tool?

- If you were asked to create an ideal system environment for developing,
enhancing, and supporting Remedy applications, how would it be structured?

- If you were hired and tasked with supporting five core custom-developed
ARS applications, what would be your first few steps?

Of course, MANY other questions are possible . . .

-- Bing

Bradford Bingel ("Bing")
ITM3 California
[hidden email] (email)
925-260-6394 (mobile)

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Some of the responses I am seeing on ARSList are a little complex.
>
> Here's some more common questions (remember your Resume will tell your
> capabilities):
>
> 1. What is the difference between and Active Link and a Filter?
> 2. What is a .def file used for?
> 3. What is a .arx file?
> 4. Who is Doug Mueller?
> 5. What is a use for an Active Link Guide?
> 6. What type of field it the "Worklog" field?
> 7. Name two DBMSs in which Remedy ARS can run on top of?
> 8. What does ARS stand for?
> 9. What are the core fields?
> 10. What does $MENU$ do?
>
> And so on. You'd be amazed at the number of interviews I've conducted
> and the interviewee couldn't answer these basic questions.
>
> A database question I like to ask is: What's the difference between
> SYSMAN and SYSTEM in an Oracle world?
>
> A very simple UNIX question is: What does LS do?
>
> Gordon M. Frank
>
> Remedy Skilled Professional
>
> ITIL V3 Certified
>
> Lockheed Martin

Thank You so much Frank. This will surely help me in preparing for my interviews.

Frank, Gordon M. (CMS/CTR) wrote
[...]

Benedetto Cantatore
**
Salma,

There was a similar thread about interview questions a couple of months back, but there isn't a "standard" set of interview questions.  If you're interviewing, be prepared for questions across the board.  The responses given so far are some good examples of what you should be prepared for, but your best preparation would be to understand what the interviewer's interests are and show you can fulfill those needs.  So if the job description shows a need for customizations, then reviewing the workflow admins guides would be a good start.  If the company has ITSM, perhaps they want someone who understands all the modules and how they should be configured.

Based on your description of having 1 year's experience in Remedy and ITSM, if I was interviewing you and I was looking to tech you out, I'd ask technical questions based on the level of the position I needed filled.  Then I'd purposely ask some technical questions beyond your experience.  One, to see if you have any knowledge in that area, and two to see how you handle answering those questions.  Also, I'd be interested in your troubleshooting abilities, so would ask questions around how you would handle certain situations.

Hope this is helpful,

Ben Cantatore
Remedy Manager
(914) 457-6209

Emerging Health IT
3 Odell Plaza
Yonkers, New York 10701

Frank, Gordon M. (CMS/CTR) wrote:

> Some of the responses I am seeing on ARSList are a little complex.
>
> Here's some more common questions (remember your Resume will tell your
> capabilities):
>
> 1. What is the difference between and Active Link and a Filter?
> 2. What is a .def file used for?
> 3. What is a .arx file?
> 4. Who is Doug Mueller?
> 5. What is a use for an Active Link Guide?
> 6. What type of field it the "Worklog" field?
> 7. Name two DBMSs in which Remedy ARS can run on top of?
> 8. What does ARS stand for?
> 9. What are the core fields?
> 10. What does $MENU$ do?
>
> And so on. You'd be amazed at the number of interviews I've conducted
> and the interviewee couldn't answer these basic questions.
>
> A database question I like to ask is: What's the difference between
> SYSMAN and SYSTEM in an Oracle world?
>
> A very simple UNIX question is: What does LS do?
>

> Gordon M. Frank
>
> Remedy Skilled Professional
>
> ITIL V3 Certified
>
> Lockheed Martin

Pierson, Shawn-2
I once had an interview where the technical portion consisted of "How do you create a user in Remedy?" then once I answered that sufficiently, the questions were more along the lines of asking me for technical advice because the interviewer was thrown into Remedy and didn't know what he was doing.

I got that job, by the way.

Shawn Pierson

Private and confidential as detailed here: http://www.sug.com/disclaimers/default.htm#Mail . If you cannot access the link, please e-mail sender.

Re: BMC Remedy ARS + ITSM Interview Questions

Salma
Thanks Ben.
Benedetto Cantatore wrote

>>> salmabegum84@GMAIL.COM 11/30/08 11:55 PM >>>

Frank, Gordon M. (CMS/CTR) wrote:

> Some of the responses I am seeing on ARSList are a little complex.
>
> Here's some more common questions (remember your Resume will tell
your
> capabilities):
>
> 1. What is the difference between and Active Link and a Filter?
> 2. What is a .def file used for?
> 3. What is a .arx file?
> 4. Who is Doug Mueller?
> 5. What is a use for an Active Link Guide?
> 6. What type of field it the "Worklog" field?
> 7. Name two DBMSs in which Remedy ARS can run on top of?
> 8. What does ARS stand for?
> 9. What are the core fields?
> 10. What does $MENU$ do?
>
> And so on. You'd be amazed at the number of interviews I've
conducted
> and the interviewee couldn't answer these basic questions.
>
> A database question I like to ask is: What's the difference between
> SYSMAN and SYSTEM in an Oracle world?
>
> A very simple UNIX question is: What does LS do?
>

> Gordon M. Frank
>
> Remedy Skilled Professional
>
> ITIL V3 Certified
>
> Lockheed Martin